Make the most of your leftovers this Christmas!
Have you been tasked with feeding the family not just on Christmas Day but Boxing Day too? If that’s the case don’t double your shopping bill-use your Christmas lunch leftovers to rustle up a feast to please all your relatives! Here’s just one recipe we love to make sure not a bit of food goes to waste.
Roast Potato, Turkey, Sausage & Stuffing Pie
- 500 ml Chicken stock or leftover gravy
- 6 Sausages or 8 chipolatas
- 300 g Turkey, cooked
- 1 Onion, large
- 1 small bunch Parsley
- 800 g Potatoes, roast
- 2 tsp English mustard powder
- 1 tbsp Wholegrain mustard
- 1 knob Butter
- 100 g Creme fraiche, low-fat
- 20 g Mature cheddar, grated
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 6 Stuffing Balls
- 1 tbsp Olive oil or rapeseed oil
- 50 g Plain flour
- Heat the oil and butter in a large, shallow, ovenproof casserole dish. Add the onion and cook for 10 mins until really soft. Push the onion to one side of the dish and add the sausages, browning them all over (skip this step if you’re using cooked leftovers).
- Remove the sausages from the dish and set aside to cool a little. Stir the mustard powder, flour and stock cube into the oil and butter for 1-2 mins. Bubble for 1 min, scraping the bottom of the dish to release any tasty bits, then add the stock. Stir to make a smooth sauce, season and bubble for 5 mins. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Cut the sausages and stuffing into bite-sized chunks, add to the sauce with the turkey, mustard, crème fraîche and parsley. When bubbling, remove from the heat. Crumble the potatoes in your hands over the top of the filling, so you have some larger and smaller chunks. Scatter with cheese and bake for 40 mins until the potatoes are crisp and the filling is bubbling around the edges.
Serve with a classic Bubble and Squeak, mixing your leftover veg with mashed potato and frying until the mixture begins to turn golden brown. You’ll have everyone’s bellies full in no time!Posted on: December 13, 2018, by : fairhursts